Memorial to the Start Westward
1938 / Creator Unknown / Marietta
The sculpture ia apart of the monument which also includes 4 obelisks and a landing on the Muskingham River. It consists of three standing men atop a rock, with a rowboat, 2 men and a woman behind them.They represent the first landing of the pioneers and the beginnings of westward expansion beyond Allegheny.The grouping depicts several figures in eighteenth-century dress. Two figures look toward the new lands of the west while the other looks toward the land left behind. The middle figure's head was broken in 1961 and subsequently replaced. Erected in 1938 as part of the 150th anniversary of the Ordinance of 1787 and the opening of the Northwest Territory by the Federal Commission establihed to organize the celebration. Erected on the site where Arthur St. Claire was inaugurated as the first governor of the Northwest Territory.