Perry Monument to Mark Cornerstone
1866 / Thomas Lawrence / Put-in-Bay
This limestone base supports a bronze urn erected in 1866 to mark the cornerstone for a monument to Commodore O.H. Perry and his victory in the Battle of Lake Erie. The cornerstone was erected in 1858. The site was the private island of Gibralter owned by Jay Cooke, Lincoln's Civil War financier. Cooke commissioned and payed for the monuement. The west face of the monument contains a plaque.